The 3rd race of the 2016 Walt Disney World Marathon weekend was the WDW Half Marathon. This was also the 3rd race of the 3rd annual Dopey Challenge and 1st race of the 11th annual Goofy Challenge.
The WDW Half began at Epcot at 5:30am with fireworks for each corral release. Since our costume theme of the weekend was “classic Disney” we dressed as Walt Disney World’s edition of It’s a Small World’s hula dancers. Thank goodness the weather cooperated with cooler temperatures for the race.
This was my 7th running of the Walt Disney World half marathon and here are some tips we’ve learned throughout the years:
- Remember to pack a mylar for the cool long walk to the corrals or to sit on while in the corrals.
- Allow plenty of time to get through race security, potty and walk the 1 mile to the corral.
- If running with a group, discuss your race plan prior to race start.
- If using the run/walk/run method, line up on either side of the corral so once the race begins you will be on the side and in place to begin walk breaks immediately.
- If you are in the back corrals, skip the long character lines miles 1-4 to get into the park sooner.
- When taking group photos at character stops, use one camera/phone to help the line move quicker.
- When in the park – use the time in the long character stop lines to your advantage – have one member of your group wait in line and take turns using the rest room.
- Have the speedier runners run ahead to the character stops and wait in line while the others catch up.
For a play by play with all the details, please view the video above and listen to our Run All The Races podcast. Note – our podcast sound gets WAY better beginning on Episode 9 – so hang in there.